Thursday, March 7, 2013

Banana Coconut Cake





This cake originated from a Pinterest find from Fat Girl Trapped in a Skinny Body. Just the idea of banana and coconut milk together sent me back to my days (pre-kids) of travelling round South East Asia where bananas and coconut milk were a staple dessert - either with tapioca, or as fritters or pancakes.

I loved the idea of the recipe, but the original one didn't quite work for me with the jarring note of almond essence. So this version I have created takes me back to South East Asia - with the soft brown sugar to remind me of the jaggery, so often used in Thai cooking - helping to add an even fudgier texture. I am going to try it next time with the grated zest of a lime in to up the tropical feel one more level!

Preheat oven to 160C (fan)
Line a 2 lb (large) loaf tin with a baking parchment liner.

Ingredients

3 very ripe bananas mashed
1 cup full fat coconut milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup soft brown sugar
1/2 cup sunflower oil
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup dessicated coconut (unsweetened)


Mash the bananas well and mix in the coconut milk and vanilla. Mix together the oil and sugar with a non electric whisk, add in the eggs, and the dry ingredients, then pour over the banana mix. Mix until combined (it will be quite a runny batter).

Pour in the tin and bake for 50 mins - 1 hour. Check after 25 mins, if it is browning too fast then cover with some foil. It is ready when a skewer comes out clean.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Lucy,

    Can you just confirm how big your cup measurements are. I have just baked this on the basis of 1 cup = 125g, but had to use loads of coconut milk and it took a lot longer to cook.

    Is delicious though, Thailand in a cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Clare,
    Yes it's a standard US cup measure (125ml) that I use, it makes a very loose batter. My oven is notoriously hot. The original recipe called fro 1 - 1 1/4 hours cooking time, so I'll revert mine to that.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your sweet thoughts!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...